Presented by: Adilene Rogers
Thursday, September 12, 2019 @noon Pacific Time, 1 PM Mountain, 2 PM Central, 3 PM Eastern
Are you interested in creating a bilingual storytime at your library? Bilingual storytimes are a great way to create a welcoming space for new families and strengthen a child’s early literacy skills. It allows non-English speaking families to see themselves and their culture through books, rhymes and movement. It is also an opportunity to nurture cognitive and language development for families in their native language as well as a chance for monolingual families to share in the cultural and linguistic diversity. In this webinar, presenter Adilene Rogers will discuss how to create a Spanish-English bilingual storytime that is culturally inclusive and will strengthen the relationship with your Spanish speaking community. She’ll also cover the importance of early literacy practices on a bilingual child’s development. While this webinar focuses mainly on Spanish-English storytimes, the principles and theories can be used for any language.
At the end of this one-hour webinar, participants will:
- Learn the importance of bilingual storytime and how it supports families raising bilingual children
- Understand the importance of having culturally relevant material such as books, songs and rhymes
- Understand some of the common misconceptions of raising bilingual children and how to support parents who are raising their children bilingually.
- For librarians that are not fluent –be able to work with a partner to develop and present a bilingual storytime
- Learn some traditional Spanish songs and rhymes as well as different movement activities that can be used.
This webinar will be of interest to youth services and children’s library staff, bilingual library volunteers, and bilingual library professionals.
For a complete description and to REGISTER NOW: https://infopeople.org/civicrm/event/info?id=857&reset=1
Webinars are free of charge, you can pre-register by clicking on the Register Now button on the announcement page. If you pre-registered you will receive an email with login link and a reminder email the day before the event. If you are unable to attend the live event, you can access the archived version the day following the webinar. Check out our archive listing at: http://infopeople.org/training/view/webinar/archived